Nature and Hiking
Central Massachusetts Hiking
Some Central Massachusetts places for day hikes or for making those observations for advancement or merit badges:
Brook - This park features hiking trails and a visitor center (about 11 minutes from Epworth United Methodist Church).
- Capen Hill Nature Sanctuary
- This green space is located in Charlton, MA. It has trails for day use.
- Several trails cross a combination of Boynton Park and parcels managed by the
Greater Worcester Land Trust.
- East-West Trail - This trail runs
14 miles through Worcester, passing through 17 green spaces.
- East Side Trail - This trail runs
3.43 miles through Worcester, including East Park, Bell Hill and Green Hill Park.
- Leominster State Forest -
With the main visitor entrance in Westminster, MA (about 30 minutes from Worcester, MA, within the Mohegan Council). This is a huge park
with several trails through the woods.
- Mass Central Rail Trail -
This has trails from Boston to Northampton, The tralhead at Thomas Street
in West Boyston is close (about 15 minutes from Worcester).
- Purgatory Chasm -
Located in Sutton, MA (about 20 minutes from Worcester, MA, within the Mohegan Council). Dramatic scenery, hiking,
and other recreational activities.
- Tower Hill Botanical Garden
- Located in Boylston, MA (about 15 minutes from Worcester).
- Wachusett Mountain -
Located in Princeton, MA (about 30 minutes from Worcester, MA, within the Mohegan Council). The hike to the top is steep, but the view
extends to Boston.
- Wachusett Reservoir - This
park is just north of Worcester. Start at the Old Church for short hikes with younger kids or further north for longer hikes.
- Worcester City Parks - The
City of Worcester has many parks, some of which have hiking trails.
Maine Trails and Nature
New Hampshire Trails and Nature
Our Backpacking Locations page has more trails.
Boy Scouts should bring the Ten Essentials on any hike.
Cub Scouts should bring the Six Essentials on any hike.
5 Tips for
Staying Comfortable Hiking in the Mud (4/17/18, Lucas Kelly on EMS Go East website)
Maintaining Your Waterproof Shoes and Boots (4/11/18, Sarah Quandt on EMS Go East website)
Page updated 5/1/18