- Windblown - Cross
country skiing and snow shoeing in New Ipswich, NH (about one hour from Worcester, MA).
Mass Audobon - This organization runs "Snowshoeing for Families" events at various locations.
- Northfield Mountain - Cross
country skiing at attractive rates on groomed trails. Public programs include snowshoeing. Located in Northfield, MA
(about 1.5 hours from Worcester, MA).
- Waterville Valley's Nordic Center - Cross
country skiing and snowshoeing in a winter sports complex. Located in Waterville Valley, NH (about 2 hours 40 minutes from Worcester, MA).
- Weston Ski Track - Offering cross-country skiing and
instruction on groomed, lighted trails. Located at the Martin Golf Course in Weston, MA (about 40 minutes from Worcester, MA).
- Natural Stone Bridge & Caves Park - See a marble
cavern either self-guided or with a
guide. They offer show shoeing in the winter. Located in Pottersville, NY.
- America's Stonehenge - A man-made construction over 4000 years old, located in North Salem,
NH. They offer show shoeing in the winter.
Plan outings to satisfy requirements for Cycling merit badge or create a camping adventure on wheels. Decide whether the trip will be a road bicycling
or mountain bicycling trip and take it from there.
- Camp Marshall -
Located in Spencer, Massachusetts, this is a former 4-H camp that features summer camp offerings and programs
customized for Boy Scouts (merit badge) and Cub Scouts.
Orienteering is a sport in which you use
a compass to find defined points in the woods and navigate from one such spot to another.
- A Guide to Orienteering - This guide
provided by 9round.com desccibes the sport in more detail (link suggested by Asher, a Boy Scout).
- ScoutOrienteering.com -
Find out about orienteering events for Scouts, with some focus on earning the Orienteering merit badge.
- New England Orienteering Club (NEOC) - This organization
runs orienteering events. They set up the courses, print the custom course maps and track participant times. All you need to do is register
in advance, show up and pay.
- Northfield Mountain - This
are has more than one orienteering course laid out, with maps available. Located in Northfield, MA
(about 1.5 hours from Worcester, MA).
Massachusetts supports fishing with programs and information.
Education Program - Learn to fish with help from the state. This includes links to a schedule of activiities and a
collection of pond maps.
- Programs and Activities -
Recreation and conservation activities provided by the department of Energy and Environmental Affairs.
Also known as "disk golf", the relatively new sport combines the basic idea of golf with a frisbee and specially designed goals. Some places to
play frisbee golf:
- Marshall Street -
This local venue is in Leicester, MA (about 12 minutes from Epworth United Methodist Church).
- Treasure Valley - Available during Boy Scout summer camp, the course here opened in
Outdoor climbing opportunities are listed on our Adventure page.
Other Indoor Sports
- Bowling (Candlepin) - Candlepin is good for the smaller kids because the ball is smaller and
lighter. Colonial Bowling Center, in Worcester, is the closest location, and Thunderbird Bowl, in Auburn, MA, is also
- Bowling (10 Pin) - 10 Pin is for kids big enough to pick up the larger bowling ball.
Closest to Worcester are AMF Auburn Lanes in
Auburn, MA and AMF Town & Country Lanes
in Shrewsbury, MA.
- Ice Skating - Worcester Skating Rink, on Lake Avenue in Worcester, MA.
- Roller Skating - Skylite Roller Skating Center, is right in Worcester, MA.
Roll-On America is located in
Lancaster, MA (about 15 minutes from Worcester, MA).
- YMCA - The three branches of the YMCA
of Central Massachusetts and the one location of the Tri-Community YMCA
offer swimming and other physical activities at visitor rates. Troops can sometimes arrange for a visit at a special rate.
Pools - In Worcestser, the Dennis F. Shine Memorial Swimming Pool reportedly offers free swimming lessons during
Many Scout camps have ranges. Typically Boy Scout camps have rifle, archery and shotgun ranges.
Cub Scout camps have BB gun and archery ranges. Camps that serve Venturers may provide for pistol
shooting. Some camps have scheduled events that include shooting sports, and other camps
provide shooting sports if arranged in advance.
- Target Crazy - This site, which is
an eCommerce site, provides a pretty extensive collection of archery guides.
Page updated 8/15/17