This was re-scheduled from April 1 due to a snow storm.
For our third year, Pack 54 is joining Pack 175 of Holden in a Pinewood Derby
event: Pack 151 and 175. This is the
event in which each participant races a small car down a track.
Building Your Car
Before the event, you need to build your car. Purchase your car kit where they
sell Scout Stuff.
Except for cutting, each Scout should build his own car. Each car must be made to
the included specifications. The
3/8" bottom clearance is required to avoid damaging the track. Recess any weights
you mount on the car bottom. See our
Pinewood Derby Rules for
The Pack will have a Car Construction Day on March 9. Scouts will mark up their
blocks of wood (from the purchased kit) to show where cuts should be
made, and adults will cut them on a scroll saw or band saw.
See the separate posting.
No fee to participate.
- Each scout should wear his uniform, as at any Scouting event.
- We will need a few adults to help set up, starting at 1:00 PM and to some to
help run the race.
- Races start with Lions at 4:00 PM.
- The track has 6 lanes. For each heat, a set of 6 cars will race six times,
rotating to each of the lanes. If the track timer is working, each Scout
will have his exact times totaled. If not, the last 2 cars in each race each get
a check mark, and cars with 2 check marks get dropped following the heat.
- Initially, races will be by year: All of the Tigers from all three packs will
race against each other until their top places are determined. The same goes for
Wolves, Bears and Webelos. These places will be announced, but there are no awards
- Then, the top placing cars from each of the years will race all together in
the same fashion. At the end, each pack will have an overall 1st, 2nd, 3rd and
4th place winner, one from each den. These will get trophies (identical for all
- Each family should bring drinks (small water bottles or juice boxes) or
deserts. Sign up
for what you are bringing to keep these in proportion.
Immanuel Lutheran Church, the home of Pack 175, is located at:
346 Shrewsbury Street
Holden, MA 01520