A number of Scout camps have closed over the years. The following are some of the more recent closures in the area of our Outings Guide (New England and New York).
Camp Boyhaven in Milton, New York, was a 300 acre Scout Camp owned by the Twin Rivers Council. It was closed and sold to the town of Milton, New York, in July 2017. The camp's address was 3430 Boyhaven Road, Middle Grove, New York.
Camp Harrison Child was a Scout camp in Plymouth Massachusetts, operated by the Old Colony Council from 1925 to 1995. For location, it included Morey’s Hole. The 1970 merger of Old Colony Council with Squanto Council left the resulting OCC with one too many camps. This camp was sold in 1995 and became a residential development. The camp bell from Camp Child now hangs at Camp Squanto.
Camp Cochegan Rock was a 100 acre Scout camp in Plymouth, Connecticut. It was sold by the Connecticut Rivers Council to the Mohegan tribe in 2006.
Camp Cochipianne was a Scout camp in Goshen, CT operated by Bristol County / Nathan Hale Council from 1925 to 1975, acording to a display at the Lawrence Lee Scouting Museum. According to an article in WikiVisually, it was sold after the New Britain Area Council and the Bristol Area Councils were merged.
Camp Dewart was a 15 acre Scout camp on Martha's Vinyard. It was owned by the Cape Cod & Islands Council.
Camp Massasoit was a 250 acre camp in Plymouht, MA owned by the Boston Minuteman Council. It appears to have been closed prior to that council's merger with Yankee Clipper Council to form the Spirit of Adventure Council. The camp's location was 4 Elbow Pond Rd, Plymouth, Massachusetts.
camp web page
Camp Nahaco was a 120 acre Scout camp in Woodstock, Connecticut, owned by the Connecticut Rivers Council. Its entrance was at 305 Crystal Pond Rd, Woodstock, CT. It was sold to the towns of Woodstock and Eastford in 2003. It currently serves as a park for those towns, with the same name. According to a display at the Lawrence Lee Scouting Museum, the camp started as Camp Keemosahbee and was operated from 1919 to 2003 by New Britain Area / Keemosahbee / Nathan Hale / Connecticut Rivers Council (CT).
Camp Onway was a 110 acre Scout camp in Raymond, NH owned by the Yankee Clipper Council. It was sold in 2007 to the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The camp's address was 30 Onway Lake Rd, Raymond, New Hampshire.
Camp Plymouth was a Scout camp in Plymouth, VT, owned by the Calvin Coolidge Council / Ethan Allen Council of Vermont, operated 1936 to possibly 1977, according to a display at the Lawrence Lee Scouting Museum. According to the Camp Plymouth State Park web page, the property was operated as a Boy Scout camp from 1927 and later became the state park.. The camp's address is 2008 Scout Camp Rd., Ludlow, VT.
Camp Portaferry was a 400 acre Scout camp owned by the Longhouse Council in towns of Pitcairn and Fern, NY. Its address was 1681 State Highway 3, Harrisville, NY . It was sold in June 2011 to developer Land First.
Camp Quinapoxet was a 180 acre Scout camp in New Hampshire, owned by the Cambridge Council. It was sold to the Mass Audubon Society in 2003 and now serves as their Wildwood Camp. Its entrance was probably located at about coordinates 42.766819, -71.969105 which corresponds to the address 497 Old New Ipswich Rd, Rindge, NH. According to a display at the Lawrence Lee Scouting Museum, this camp was operated by the Cambridge Council from 1925 to 2000.
Camp Russell, aka Russell Scout Reservation, was a 425 acre camp in Woodgate, New York, owned by Leatherstocking Council. It was closed in 2015 and sold in 2016 (9/13/16 article). Its address was Route 28, Woodgate, NY (on Fourth Lake).
According to a display at the Lawrence Lee Scouting Museum, this camp was located in Antrim, New Hampshire and was operated by Sachem Council / Minuteman Council (MA) from 1928 to 1988. According to a 2/16/88 article, the camp was located on the north shore of Gregg Lake and was about 300 acres.
Camp Cedarlands was a 4,300 plus acre Scout Camp in Long Loake, New York owned by the Revolutionary Trails Council. It had been acquired by the Scouts in 1963. It had two lakes and three mountains and was primarily forested wilderness with a 350-acre base camp and 10 primitive campsites. The camp's address was Kickerville Road, Long Lake, New York.
Our page on this camp.
Hemenway Base was a 600 acre Scout camp in Tanworth, New Hanmpshire, owned by the Knox Trail Council. It was located in the Hemenway State Forest.
Kurson Training Center was a 55 acre Scout Camp in Standards, New York, owned by the Allegheny Highlands Council
Mark Greer Scout Reservation was a 340 acre Scout camp in Bozrah, Connecticut owned by the Connecticut Rivers Council. Its Boy Scout summer camp was called Camp Tadma. The camp was sold to Revelation Church in 2015. The camp's address was 154 Bishop Rd, Bozrah, CT.
Stratton Mountain Scout Reservation was a 1,700 acre Scout camp in the Town of Stratton, Vermont, owned by the Governor Clinton Council of New York. According to a legal ruling, the most concentrated development centered around Grout Pond, which had a developed waterfront. According to a display at the Lawrence Lee Scouting Museum, this camp was operated from 1952 to 1976.
Woodworth Lake Scout Reservation was a 1,500 acre Scout camp in the towns of Bleeker and Johnstown, New York, owned by the Twin Rivers Council. At the time it was sold in 2013 to a home developer, its size was stated as 1,119 acres. The camp was last used for summer camp in 1992.
Page updated 4/1/18