Museums Local to Worcester
- Worcester Art Museum (WAM)
- Our city's own museum, right in Worcester, has some very good collections, as well as a Discovery Gallery
for participation in art. Free admission 10AM-12PM on Saturdays (as recently as 4/27/08).
- Higgins Armory Museum - After 83 years, Higgins Armory Museum officially closed its doors on
December 31, 2013. Yhe museum's core collection was transferred to the Worcester Art Museum.
Museums in Massachusetts
- American Textile History Museum - The museum has a program for
Textile Merit Badge (Boy Scouts) and several Cub Scout electives. Located in Lowell, MA (approximately 50 minutes from Worcester, MA).
- Battleship Cove - The museum includes the
battleship USS Massachusetts and several other vessels. This museum features excellent exhibits
detailing life and work aboard the vessels. Located in Fall River, MA (approximately one hour from Worcester, MA).
- Bay State Model Railroad Museum - This museum features model trains of
several scales. Located in Roslindale, MA (just under one hour from Worcester, MA).
- Fort Devens Museum - dedicated to informing the public about the
roles of Camp Devens, Fort Devens, and the present Devens Reserve Forces Training Area in ensuring the military preparedness of the nation.
Located in Devens, MA (approximately 30 minutes from Worcester, MA).
- Fruitlands Museum - Native American Gallery, Art Gallery, Farmhouse and Shaker Office, all
in historic, preserved building in a country setting. Located in Harvard, MA (approximately 30 minutes from Worcester, MA).
- MASS MoCA - Massachusetts
Museum of Contemporary Art. Located in North Adams, MA.
- Mayflower II - Visit a re-creation of the original Mayflower ship.
Located in Plymouth, MA (about 1.5 hours from Worcester, MA).
- Museum of Fine Arts - The largest and most prestigious art museum in our region. Located in
Boston, MA (about one hour from Worcester, MA).
- Museum of Russian Icons - The collection includes about 370 Russian icons, the largest
collection of its kind in North America. Located in Clinton, MA (about 25 minutes from Worcester, MA).
- National Plastics Center & Museum
- This museum was located in Leominster, MA. It closed
in November 2008.
- New Bedford Whaling Museum
- Located in New Bedford, MA (about 1.5 hours from Worcester, MA).
- Normal Rockwell Museum - Located in Stockbridge, MA
(approximately 1.5 hours from Worcester, MA). The museum offers specific merit
badge programs for Scouts.
- Old Sturbridge Village - claming to be "the largest outdoor
history museum in the Northeast". Merit badge programs include Metalwork and Pottery. Located in Sturbridge, MA (approximately 35 minutes from Worcester, MA).
- Peabody Museum of Archaelogy and Ethnology - learn about anthropology at this
museum at Harvard University in
Cambridge, MA (approximately 1 hour from Worcester, MA).
- Plimoth Plantation - The museum re-enacts native Wampanoag and
Colonial English men and women living their lives, as if it were the 1620s. Located in Plymouth, MA (about 1.5 hours from
- Plumbing Museum - Located in Worcester until
February 2008, this
museum illustrating the history of plumbing re-opened in Watertown, MA (about 50 minutes from Worcester) in Fall 2008.
- Springfield Museums - Four museums
in Springfield, MA (just under one hour from Worcester, MA).
- USS Salem - The museum features the
USS Salem, a heavy cruiser. Located in Quincy, MA (approximately one hour from Worcester, MA).
- Willard House & Clock Museum
- Clocks in a historic 1718 workshop. Located in North Grafton, MA (about 16 minutes from Worcester, MA).
- Waters Farm
- Historic homestead on 120 acres, including a blacksmith shop, sugar house and other period outbuildings. Located in Sutton, MA
(about 16 minutes from Worcester, MA). Visited by Troop 101.
Museums in Rhode Island
- Culinary Arts Museum - Located at Johnson & Wales Univeristy in
Providence, RI (approximately 55 minutes from Worcester, MA).
Museums in New Hampshire
Museums in Connecticut
- Mashantucket Pequot Museum and Research Center - Museum of native and natural history.
Located in Mashantucket, CT (about 1.25 hours from Worcester, MA).
- Mystic Seaport - The seaport features tall ships, historic buildings,
exhibits, and a preservation shipyard. Located in Mystic, CT (about 1.5 hours from Worcester, MA).
- New England Air Museum - Located in Windsor Locks,
CT (approximately 1 hour from Worcester, MA). An aviation merit badge
workshop is offered on a scheduled basis.
- U.S. Navy Submarine Force Museum
- Home of the USS Nautilus and submarine-related historic artifacts. Located in Groton, CT (about 1 hour 20 minutes from Worcester, MA).
Museums in Vermont
- Shelburne Museum - describing itself as " one
of the nation's finest, most diverse, and unconventional museums of art and Americana". Located in Shelburne, VT (approximately
4 hours from Worcester, MA).
Museums in Maine
You may want to look at our list of Science Centers as well.
People interested in art may want to visit Artsy, an on-line collection of
images of art and information about artists, including Norman
Rockwell (one painting shown).
Page updated 8/24/17