In order to give our Scouts a chance to work on some swimming requirements, we will meet at the
Community Branch YMCA:
The main requirement to focus on is Second Class Requirement 8b. All of the advancement swimming requirements are:
- Second Class Requirement 8b: Demonstrate your ability to jump feetfirst into water over your head in depth, level
off and swim 25 feet on the surface, stop, turn sharply, resume swimming, then return to your starting place.
- Second Class Requirement 8c: Demonstrate water rescue methods by reaching with your arm or leg, by reaching with
a suitable object, and by throwing lines and objects. Explain why swimming rescues should not be attempted when a
reaching or throwing rescue is possible, and explain why and how a rescue swimmer should avoid contact with the victim.
- First Class Requirement 9b. Successfully complete the BSA swimmer test. (see below)
- First Class Requirement 9c. With a helper and a practice victim, show a line rescue both as tender and as rescuer.
(The practice victim should be approximately 30 feet from shore in deep water.)
- BSA Swimmer Test: Jump feetfirst into water over the head in depth. Level off and swim 75 yards in a strong manner
using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl; then swim 25 yards using an easy,
resting backstroke. The 100 yards must be completed in one swim without stops and must include at least one sharp turn.
After completing the swim, rest by floating.
The fee for Scouts is $3 (paid to Troop 54). This can be paid on the day of the event.
What to Bring
766 Main St.
Worcester, Ma 01610
We will meet in the lobby area at 7:00 PM. We will not be at the church this day.