Troop 54 was at Evergreen again this year (we won't be there next year). The camp had undergone a miraculous volunteer and philanthropic effort
to recover from the December ice storm. Except for piles of wood chips everywhere (half a million pounds processed so far), you could hardly tell there
had been a problem, much less a major disaster. The weather was pretty wet and cool, especially around the middle of the week.
We had twenty-one campers this year, who experienced an updated program with more merit badges and other activities than ever. During the week:
- Several members of the troop participated in the Order of the Arrow's Hour of Service.
- Older Scouts participated in COPE (Challenging Outdoor Personal Experience).
- Our seven first year Scouts at camp participated in Brownsea Island Adventure.
- One of our Scouts (and one of our leaders) helped man a "war canoe" during the annual camp race.
- Our Scouts earned 42 merit badges (and lots of partials).
- We had several rank advancements.
- Our OA members ran an election at another troop and helped serve the ice cream social.
Troops in camp during Week 1 this year:
|Evergreen||Troop 54 (Worcester, MA)
|High Mesa||Troop 15 (Connecticut, Out of Council)
|Madore||Troop 15 (Massachusetts, Out of Council)
|Pine Acres||Troop 4 (Out of Council)
|Sleepy Hollow||Troop 131
|Thunderbird||Troop 28 (Worcester, MA)
At the closing ceremony:
- Most of the COPE participants were awarded certificates of completion by the COPE staff.
- One of our youth members (Derek B) and one of our adult members (J. Mitchell) were tapped out for Order of the Arrow.
At the closing campfire:
- Bowen K was awarded a certificate of completion by the COPE staff.
- Peter S was awarded the Monkey's Fist award for his helpfulness and enthusiasm at Brownsea Island Adventure.
Photos by: Joshua Froimson, Kathy Russo and Peter Hansen